A few nights later – I don’t remember why – I went to bed early. Maybe I was a bit tired. Or maybe the crap I’d been studying was just boring enough to knock me out. Whatever the reason, the end result was that I woke up an hour early. I rolled over and looked at my alarm clock.
There wasn’t much point in going back to sleep. Then it occurred to me that I might be able to get into the bathroom early, before Rose woke up. I always let her go first, and then had to hurry a bit to shower and shave before breakfast. A leisurely shower sounded good.
I pulled on a pair of track pants, and stepped across the hall. The bathroom door was ajar, so I pushed it open and stepped in.
Rose gasped, and scrambled for a towel.
She’d been standing there, naked, with one leg up on the edge of the bathtub. She had a pair of scissors in her hand … and she’d been trimming …
– “Oh! Shit! I’m sorry – I was …” I backed up, and tried to turn. All I managed to do was smack the side of my head on the edge of the bathroom door.
– “Aaak!” was all Rose said. She dropped the scissors, and snatched up a bath towel. It wasn’t really big enough to cover … everything.
Two things – well, three – stuck in my mind.
Rose had pinned back her hair. But even without her long hair framing her face, Rose was surprisingly pretty.
Second, I’d been entirely correct about her arms and legs. She was a big girl, but not fat.
And Rose had impressive tits. Her nipple were like light brown raspberries, and her areolae were crinkly. But even when she draped the towel in front of her, covering her from the nipples to just above the knee … it left an awful lot of upper breast exposed.
– “Joe!” she said.
– “Sorry – sorry!” I finally managed to back out of the room.
An hour later, at breakfast, I apologized profusely.
Rose didn’t want to talk about it. She apologized to me, for leaving the door open.
– “It was my fault.” she said.
We walked to the bus stop, as always, but Rose didn’t look me in the eye.
It was a quiet Friday night, at home with my three roommates. For some reason, nobody was in the mood to go out. Rose volunteered to cook, while I ran out and got us some beer. We ate like kings and queens, and then settled down in the living room.
– “Didn’t you have a date tonight?’ Rose said to Rina.
– “I cancelled. Paul just wanted to go to the Lion. And then he’d want to come back here.” She didn’t sound too happy.
– “Taking you for granted?” said Laurie.
– “Yeah.” said Rina. “And he’s unpleasant when he drinks, too. I’m tired of it.”
– “He gets nasty. Critical of everybody. He almost got into a fight, last time we went out. He’s just a nasty drunk.”
– “A lot of men are like that.” said Rose.
– “Not Joe.” said Laurie. “Joe’s a happy drunk.”
– “I’m a what now?”
– “I’ve seen you hammered, Joe.” she said. “You just smile, and talk a bit more than usual. ”
– “That’s true.” said Rose.
– “What’s he like when he’s high?” asked Rina.
– “I don’t smoke very often.” I said. “It doesn’t do much for me.”
– “He mushes out.” said Laurie. “He just gets mellow.”
– “I wish.” said Rina. “I get totally paranoid, and then I have trouble concentrating.”
– “I just get stupid.” said Laurie. Then she laughed. “That’s how I ended up with Ronnie.”
– “Ha! I know what you mean.” said Rina. “I can’t win: grass makes me weird, and booze makes me horny. Just like Rose – right, Rosie?”
Rose looked mortified. “Rina!” she said, through clenched teeth.
– “What? We’re all friends here, aren’t we? After all, we’ve all seen Joe naked -”
– “Oh, Rose – it’s no big deal. Sorry, Joe. I didn’t mean that it wasn’t big – I just meant that it’s -”
Laurie fell onto her back, laughing. But Rose was blushing.
– “Oh, get over it, Rose.” said Rina. “Geez, just because you saw his dick? Get over it, girl. Show him your tits, or something – then you’ll be even.”
I leapt to my feet. “Hey – who needs a refill?”
– “Beer me.” said Laurie.
I went to the kitchen, and stayed there for a while. When I came back, they were talking about something completely different.